Chocolate Poisoning & Emergency Vet Care

3 August 2022
 Categories: Pets & Animals, Blog

Did your dog suddenly develop the need for more water than usual and seems to be abnormally restless? If their condition is getting worst, it is important to seek medical care as soon as possible in case their life is in danger. One of the conditions that can make a dog thirsty and restless is chocolate poisoning, and the symptoms can turn fatal without medical treatment. If your dog has a vet but the clinic is not open, take your pet to an animal hospital for emergency medical care. Even if you know that your dog did not eat chocolate, seeking emergency care might be wise if their condition is progressing rather than getting better. 

Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning

Other than excessive thirst and restlessness, chocolate poisoning can cause dogs to experience multiple other symptoms. The increased need to urinate is one of the other symptoms of chocolate poisoning, which is due to consuming more water from excessive thirst. Have you noticed that your dog is pooping more than usual as well? If so, diarrhea is another sign that your pet consumed chocolate and should be a big concern. Your dog must be treated by a vet as soon as possible because they might have symptoms that you are unaware of, such as a dangerously fast heartbeat.  

The Risks of Untreated Chocolate Poisoning

If your dog has consumed chocolate, they are at risk of developing a serious health condition. For example, severe chocolate poisoning can cause a dog to have seizures, which might be an ongoing condition that requires regular medical care. Another possible risk is for your pet to experience heart failure, which comes with various health problems requiring ongoing medical attention. In the worst-case scenario, heart failure can lead to death. However, consuming chocolate alone is risky enough for a fatal outcome, especially for dogs who are old or already suffering from health problems.

How Chocolate Poisoning Is Treated

Depending on the amount and type of chocolate a dog consumes, treatment might involve include inducing vomiting. Activated charcoal is commonly used as well to prevent a toxin known as theobromine from being absorbed in a dog's body. Although theobromine is found in chocolate, small amounts of the toxin are not as toxic to humans in comparison to dogs. When you take your dog to an animal hospital, they might undergo tests, be monitored, and be issued medication based on their diagnosis.

Contact a local veterinarian hospital to learn more.